Don Currivan was born in Mansfield, Mass. on March 6, 1920 and graduated from Mansfield High School in 1938.

Playing for Boston College after high school. A stalwart defensive end as well, he was a major and versatile contributor to this great era of Boston College gridiron success. He first broke into the sports headlines when he recovered a Holy Cross fumble in 1940, and then scored the touchdown which gave the Eagles a 7-0 victory over the Crusaders. This completed an unbeaten-untied season for the Eagles, and they then received an invitation to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Don was not so lucky in his junior year at the Heights and in his second year on the Eagle Varsity. In a game early in the season 1941 with Temple, he seriously injured his knee. The injury kept him out of the game for most of the season.

However, 1942 found him back at his end position, and in this season he received All-America acclaim for his work. He was one of the factors that led to B.C.'s being chosen to represent the North in the Orange Bowl game that year.

He graduated from Boston College in 1943 and was drafted by the Chicago Cardinals with their 3rd pick of the 18th round. The next year he played for a team that was the result of a temporary merger between the Cardinals and the  Pittsburgh Steelers. The teams' merger was result of the manning shortages experienced league-wide due to World War II.

He served a short time in the Army in 1945, but his trick knee save him into a bit of trouble, and finally he was given an honorable discharge.

After he was discharged, in the fall of 1945, he had 16 receptions good for 397 yards with the Boston Yanks. In 1946 he had 11 receptions for 262 yards and in 1947 he had career high 24 receptions good for 782 yards for the Yanks.

In 1948 and 1949 he played for the Los Angeles Rams and finished his pro career with 78 catches for 1,979 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Don Currivan died suddenly on May 16, 1956 of a cerebral hemorrhage, while playing golf at Oyster Harbors Golf Club in Osterville, Mass. at age 36. He was inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame 14 years after he died, in 1970.